The Message of the Prophets
The apostle Peter, in two well-known passages authoritatively defines the message of the prophets (1 Peter 1:10-12; 2 Peter 1:16, 19-21).
1. Christ is the great subject of all the prophets (1 Peter 1:11).
2. Age and circumstances of Christ's two appearances are marked by the prophets (1 Peter 1:. 11).
3. There is perfect accord between Old and New Testament prophets (1 Peter 1:12).
4. The Holy Spirit is the only author of prophecy (1 Peter 1:11-12; 2 Peter 1:21).
5. The prophets sought the meaning of their God-given prophecies (1 Peter 1:1-12).
6. The angels wanted to see the marvels God announced (1 Peter 1:12).
7. The prophetic word is certain--therefore, we should heed it (2 Peter 1:19).
8. The prophetic Word is a lamp shining in a dark place (2 Peter 1:19).
9. No Bible prophecy is an object of individual interpretation (2 Peter 1:20-21).
--Rene Pache, The Return of Jesus Christ. Translated by William Sanford LaSor. This is an old book, but it is full of good and still relevant information.